It's All in My Head

Ravings With No Organic Explanation

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Three Weeks, Three Miles

Yes, I'm averaging a mile a week at this point.

It's not that I haven't been finding other satisfying, calorie-burning, muscle-building activities. I'm actually quite proud that now, in mid-February, I can claim that I have not once let bad weather deter me from my appointed rounds, be they at 5 am or after dinner. In fact, I seem to be building a reputation as a, shall we say, nutcase? at the gym. My instructor at my 6 am Body Pump on Thursday remarked that she was afraid she'd get up and no one would be in class, but then realized that at the very least, *I* would be there. She also added that she knew I was probably pulling my hair out the night before when the Y cancelled all classes, including my beloved Body Attack (she was right, even though I was and still am nursing a mild chest cold). Oh well. I could have worse obsessions.

No, it's not lack of exercise. I'm maintaining stamina and lung capacity through cardio classes like RPM, Body Attack and step interval. But I need to run. I need to train. I need to run fast and maintain enough wind to talk trash when I'm done.

In 20 days we run a five-miler benefitting Special Olympics with J's family. We're coming together as a family to do something fun and healthy and to benefit a good cause (chosen for our nephew who has Trisomy 21).

Sounds sweet, doesn't it? You'd be surprised. Since this was planned in November, it's been a no-holds-barred, balls-to-the-wall, smack-talking, cut-throat competition. About half of us participating train regularly, and I will *NOT* be beaten by anyone who doesn't. J's brothers torture me every chance they get, and this training period has been no exception. In fact, I think the bar has been raised considerably. But this time, this time I'm going to show them, even if I have to cough up a lung in the process.

So today it got up to 30 degrees and I ran three miles. Doesn't sound like much, but I cannot overemphasize my disdain for cold weather. I felt good. My breathing was under control, my bad knee was tired but not painful. I'm not sure what my time was, and it wouldn't be accurate if I'd timed because of certain conditions, which leads me to my next point.

If you live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, it's going to snow. Maybe sooner, maybe later, but it will happen. Just like last year and the year before that and the year before that. Buy a freakin' shovel!

Ahem. Okay. So three miles today, my first time out since the end of January, when I put in five. Eight miles a month, woo! I am *unstoppable*! Beijing, here I come!

I see we're going to break freezing this week so things are looking up. Possibility of hitting 60 next Sunday, and, with apologies to Al Gore, I hope it stays that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home